Strength Training can help you preserve and enhance your muscle mass — at any age.
Strength training also helps you:
- Develop strong bones and reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Control your weight. As you gain muscle, your body begins to burn calories more efficiently. The more toned your muscles, the easier it is to control your weight.
- Boost your stamina. As you get stronger, you won’t fatigue as easily.
- Manage chronic conditions. Strength training can reduce the signs and symptoms of many chronic conditions, including back pain, arthritis, obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
- Sharpen your focus. Some research suggests that regular strength training helps improve attention for older adults.
Strength training can be done at home or in the gym. Common choices include:
- Body Weight Exercises
- Resistance Bands
- Free Weights
- Barbells and Dumbbells
- Weight Machines